02 August 2026

Lamech-Like Violence and Evangelical Apostasy

https://diakrisis-project.com/2026/06/29/christian-violence-the-ultimate-oxymoron-by-a-pastor-who-so-many-think-is-a-hero/

This article is by Alan Morrison, an English pastor that (last I knew) had relocated to the Continent. His criticisms of the Charismatic movement made him a lot of enemies in years past and I think the criticism and threats nearly broke him, and for a time he more or less dropped out and seemingly fell off the grid.

While not agreeing with him all the time, I've benefitted from some of his writings and still appreciate his efforts and so I would 'keep an eye out' for him and from time to time see if he was back online. He did re-emerge in the 2010's and I've checked in on his website from time to time.

I had caught this story in the news about the Louisiana pastor who assaulted and beat up an antagonist. Nothing surprises me any more but I saw that Morrison had written about it and I found his commentary to be both astute and encouraging. It was refreshing (for once) to find someone who was able to get right to the core of the matter and prove willing to speak in the necessary terms required - even if they would be deemed as 'harsh' by some.

The pastor's rage reminds me of the 2020 Eric Metaxas incident when the MAGA-Evangelical punched a protester riding a bicycle. He had just come out of an RNC event at the White House and my guess is he was pumped up and riding high and felt 'empowered' and he wanted to put the protester in his place. It's a Lamech moment - you insult me and I knock your teeth out. We see the same with Pete Hegseth who threatens death and destruction to anyone who opposes the United States.

It's not hard to imagine something similar with this pastor, all the more given the current zeitgeist and the spirit of rage within the MAGA Right. The attack was so violent he could have seriously injured the man or even killed him.

The pastor (Tony Spell) is obviously unreflective and unrepentant. He jokes about it (from the pulpit) and twists Scripture in order to justify his rage-driven attack. Given his theology and the whole ethos of his 'ministry' (sic), I don't believe I'd reckon this man a brother in Christ, but my opinion doesn't count. The Church (collectively) should be denouncing this man, calling him to repentance, and he needs to be out of the pulpit. His ignorance of basic New Testament teaching and ethics demonstrate he is unfit for office - if even to be admitted to the Eucharist. As things stand he needs to be put out of the Church. It needs to be made clear to him that he belongs to the realm of Satan not of Christ, and unless he repents he has no basis to expect a heavenly reward upon his death.

Morrison is rightly appalled by the support Spell has received. I think it's very indicative of where the American Evangelical Church is at - in a state of apostasy.

This is especially so when it comes to the Charismatic movement.

Morrison asks the following:

"How can a disciple of Christ feel joy at seeing a young man beaten like that. Such an emotion is entirely of the flesh and nothing to do with what a genuine follower of the Christ should be experiencing when they see such a thing. Truly, so many professing “Christians” have no idea what it means to be a Christ-ian. Many lauded the pastor as a hero and great protector. Here is another image celebrating the pastor as a successor to “Chuck Norris”:

He's right. These people exhibit the fact that they have not grasped the Gospel of Grace. At best they've been exposed to Cheap Grace. This is false Christianity plain and simple. And it needs to be said, these people are actually in a far worse place than many of your openly pagan neighbours.

I was so glad to see that Morrison tied in this event with Trump's threats to destroy Iranian Civilization. It's the same thing and yet a myriad of apostate Christian leaders rushed to defend his genocidal statement.

These same Christians would have stood by Hitler in the 1930's. It's that serious. That's how far gone these people are.

Morrison point by point demonstrates that the justifications used to defend Spell don't stand up to basic reason let alone Scripture. It wasn't self-defense. It was an assault. The kid wasn't Goliath. He may be partially at fault in this whole affair, but this response was patently un-Christian and specifically disqualifying for a so-called shepherd-overseer of Christ's flock.

The justifications offered in defense of Spell are rather stunning in their own right and demonstrate a woeful ignorance of basic Scriptural knowledge and how to apply what is read.

Morrison adds:

"The truth is that the mass approval of this pastor beating up this young man is part of a much wider approval of violence and associated disobedience to Scripture which has become endemic amongst so many professing Christians. So many professing “Christians” are sitting on a pile of repressed anger which mostly only comes out in a passive-aggressive manner. But I have also seen it spill over into purple-faced rage in yelling and loss of control when they feel psychologically challenged. It is that kind of lawlessness which, for example, made them so supportive of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. During that war campaign, because of my stance on it, rightly decrying it as illegal, based on serious lies, and morally unjustifiable, I received far more nasty responses from “Christians” rather than unbelievers. It is that kind of lawlessness of professing “Christians” which, for example, makes them support Israel in its genocidal activities, and accounts for their approval of the recent incursions into Iran, and the whole ‘gung-ho’ MAGA culture. I seriously doubt that any regeneration has taken place in those who resolutely and persistently behave in such a manner as I have outlined in this paragraph."

In other words we are in the midst of apostasy. Something is wrong. The gospel message is preached, people assent to it, but their lives and the lives of their leaders reflect nothing of the New Testament and the testimony of the Holy Spirit with regard to saving faith, regeneration, and sanctification.

In seeking to magnify grace they have cheapened it and their understanding of soteriology and ecclesiology fall below the bar of simple New Testament orthodoxy. You will know a tree by its fruit and we see that it's rotted - even putrid. They have been deceived. You cannot help but think of Matthew 7.20-23.

I contend that should these people encounter the 'Full Gospel' (to borrow a Charismatic phrase) they would in fact reject it.

Morrison:

"Frankly, I would not go anywhere near the church over which that battering pastor has office. Not only because that church is part of a sect which engages in false teachings but because its pastor is an intemperate bully who falsely uses Scripture almost blasphemously to justify his aggressive actions. A pastor who responds with physical violence and then has the temerity to joke about it at his next worship service in the church (falsely quoting Scripture too) has forfeited the moral credibility necessary for pastoral leadership."

To which I offer a hearty 'amen'.

See also:

https://proto-protestantism.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-reality-of-demonic.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.