20 August 2014

Inbox: Dispensationalism and Futurism


Some readers will find this to be of interest and possibly beneficial to their own understanding.

Recently I was asked to comment on both Dispensationalism and Futurism. Here's my unpolished response.

I am an ex- Dispensational Futurist. I grew up under that system, so I know it well.

Covenant Theology is the usual contrast to Dispensationalism but it must be understood there are many strains and variations. It's an umbrella term, as Dispensationalism itself is. Few today hold to the Dispensationalism system taught in the old Scofield Bible. Most (Ryrie, Bock etc...) have modified it to some degree. In terms of an overarching structure to the Bible I would definitely lean toward the Covenantal side of the scale. But there are definitely versions of Covenant Theology which I would reject.

That said, I would also emphasize the more Redemptive-Historical understanding of theology as opposed to the Systematic. And though many Reformed folks try to synthesize the two, the Systematic usually wins in the end.

I have no idea how familiar you are with this stuff, so I don't know if I'm telling you anything new, speaking over your head, or telling you what you already know. I'm just kind of throwing out some thoughts about where I'm coming from.

Futurism usually refers to a specific way of reading the book of Revelation. Preterism and Idealism are the other main options. A school called Historicism seems to be making a comeback.

I'm definitely in the Idealist camp when it comes to Revelation. I don't believe it's all fulfilled in the future... most Dispensationalists believe the seven churches represent 'ages' and that we're in the Laodicean Church Age. They believe Rev. 4 represents the Rapture and that 4-19 encapsulate (more or less) the 7 year tribulation.

Preterists of course believe all of it up to about Chapter 18 was fulfilled by AD 70. There are also Hyper-Preterists but they're quite rare.

Historicists believe Revelation offers a symbolic record of Church history that finds it fulfillment in Charlemagne, the rise of Islam, the Reformation etc...

Idealism believes that it's symbolic and presents a multi-perspectival (repeating visions)* view of history and the spiritual war that takes place between the 1st and 2nd Comings of Christ. Thus it's fully applicable whether you live in the year 114 or 2014.

In terms of the millennium of Revelation 20, I'm an Amillennialist. If you're unfamiliar with that I seem to recall Wikipedia provides a decent summary. It's a very misunderstood position. We're not rejecting the idea of the millennium. We're rejecting the idea that the millennium represents a temporal, physical, geo-political/cultural kingdom. We insist the Kingdom is in heaven itself and it manifests itself on earth in spiritual terms... not visible or discernible to the unregenerate.

All Dispensationalists are of course Premillennialists but their version differs from the Historic Premillennialism found among some of the Church Fathers. The Dispensational school which arose in the 19th century holds to the Rapture (as an event usually distinct from the 2nd Coming) then divides into Pre-, Mid-, Pre-Wrath and Post-Tribulational camps.

The real heart and soul of the system is the idea that God has two separate people and two separate plans for them... Jewish Israel and the Gentile Church. When I realized that doctrine was not what the New Testament taught the system began to implode. Without that key premise, the whole eschatological system that goes with it... literally evaporates. Their understanding of Daniel 9 which is so key to their understanding of Israel, the Church and their idea of the end times is simply eradicated.

So to answer your question, I'm not a Dispensationalist but grew up in that system. It was very difficult to break away from it. Very emotional. But after learning of its history and studying out the issue, in particular the key planks upon which it stands and its hermeneutical inconsistency I was forced to abandon it.

Hope that helps.   
*I am using the term multi-perspectival as synonymous with Progressive Parallelism. I'm not referring to the hermeneutic advocated by Frame and Poythress.