23 October 2014

My Apparent Bloviations or Musings of a Windbag

Recently I read something and saw myself referred to as a pompous windbag.

Well!

Apparently I write too much and labour too long in explaining why I think what I do.
I wonder if the same would be said if I put my energies toward the Christo-American causes this critic believes in?
I wonder if at that point I wouldn't be reckoned a zealous and profound intellectual, a robust and stalwart defender of the truth?
In truth if I was convinced that my writings were nothing more than empty ramblings or bloviations reminiscent of a politician or Talk Radio host...
Then I would delete these websites immediately and never bother to write again.
When I looked into what this critic considered to be sound wisdom and intellectual fare I felt vindicated. If anything more than sound bites and grunts make me a windbag than I'm proud to be one.


4 comments:

  1. Sorry for going off topic, but what was the video about in your last post? Some of us unfortunate folks don't have Facebook accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count yourself fortunate! I just have a 'dummy' account with no posts and no information. It's merely to have access.

    It was video portraying a young girl out playing Rambo on the shooting range, moving through various targets, changing weapons and nailing target after target. Her father and apparently a whole community think this is somehow just a glorious thing.

    I am so happy that's not my daughter! I would be ashamed. I do not understand Christians who think this is all some kind of game. This isn't training for so-called self defense. This is military training, war and combat practice. Reading my Bible, even reading history I cannot understand their mindset and I don't want to. Even as a total pagan that celebrated violence and loved guns... I still was too sober to think or act that way or celebrate that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who was it who referred to you as a pompous windbag and what was the specific context?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where else but Facebook? Actually I've been called a windbag and worse on several occasions and not just on Facebook. But that's where I saw it recently.
    The context is almost always the same. Someone who appreciates my point of view is trying to get a friend to consider something other than the Right-Wing Christian view and they'll provide a link or two to some of my writings.
    At that point I'm attacked because I'm a Nobody, a fringe character (I am indeed!), uneducated (perhaps), a windbag, traitor, heretic or something else. Depending on the context I am more than happy to embrace any of these labels.
    I am convinced that many people don't have the patience to read something beyond a paragraph or two. I think most of the links posted on Facebook aren't actually read either by the poster or the people who hit 'like'.
    I know that most of the people who click on my articles don't finish reading them. They skim at best. The number of people who actually will sit down and read a 3-4 page article, let alone 10-15 page piece that's split into multiple parts is pretty small.
    The answer is to dumb down, condense and streamline.
    I just can't do it. Few things anger me more than watching Hollywood (by which I include the mainstream media) do that to history. It's dishonest. But that's the state of our culture. No attention span and little but a cursory knowledge of most of the things we talk about.
    We're Dark Age peasants with smart phones.
    Well, some of us aren't but that's the general state of things.

    ReplyDelete